There is a growing trend in home healthcare and long-term health care. This growing trend is to have a family member obtain a certification that will allow them to care for you or for another family member in a time of long-term care needs. There are several certifications that are available that would fall under this category. Remember, that each one of the certifications must also meet a state or government requirement in order to be legal when it comes to administering of medications and other aspects of home healthcare.

Certified Nursing Assistant

A certified nursing assistant is one of the most common certifications that a family member can get in order to help you with your long-term health care needs. A certified nursing assistant is someone who generally works in a retirement community environment such as a nursing home, assisted living home, residential nursing home, or in a long-term care facility. Certified nursing assistants in most states can check vitals, take input and output records, perform wound care, and deliver basic oral medications such as Tylenol and certain prescriptions.

Home Health Aide

A home health aide is very similar to a certified nursing assistant. They can perform the same duties and the same general education is required. The difference between a home health aide and a certified nursing assistant is a home health aide can administer things such as an IV in cases where the patient is bed ridden, requires certain IV medications, or requires an ongoing IV. Home health aides are also skilled in other aspects of home healthcare such as lifting, transporting the patient, and in certain care aspects of the home that would not be required in assisted-living facility or in a long-term care facility.

EMT or Paramedic

An EMT or paramedic certification is not the top certification to obtain, however it will do in certain situations. An EMT or paramedic has the same training medically that both a home health or certified assisted has along with additional training for emergencies and triage. An EMT or paramedic can administer certain medications, IVs, and other medically based need medications or procedures. If a member of your family already has an EMT or paramedic certification, then they may be a prime candidate in order to help you as a full-time caregiver and provider.

One of the best ways to utilize the certifications is to have the family member move in and become a live-in caregiver. This may cut back your long-term care insurance needs, along with long-term insurance care policies, and it may also benefit you in other ways with insurance and daily living. Some states do offer certain tax breaks as well as certain government incentive programs for having a long-term care provider within the home. Remember you will need to check with your state, county, city and other local government agencies to ensure that you are meeting all the guidelines for choir under the certification as well as guidelines required for the insurance as a full-time caregiver.